Enrique J. Gómez Aguilera
President of the SEIB
Dear friends and colleagues of the Spanish Society of Biomedical Engineering,
It is an honour for me to address you as the new president of the SEIB and I thank you for your confidence in initiating, with all the team of our candidacy, this new journey of the SEIB. I share with you that this is one of the most exciting stages in my personal and professional life, and for this I have the privilege of collaborating with a team of great professionals from the academic, industrial and medical sectors, committed to our society and with the hope of continuing to fight for our discipline.
First of all, I would like to thank all my predecessors for their dedication to the SEIB and all their excellent contributions that have led to the prestige that our society enjoys today, and especially Prof. Raimon Jané for his leadership at the head of our society in recent years. I would also like to thank Prof. Javier Saiz for all his work as Vice President of the previous Board of Directors.
SEIB is currently in a magnificent situation as a meeting place for all of us who are dedicated to IB in Spain, with leading international research groups, with professors who are leaders in IB undergraduate and postgraduate education throughout the country, and with increasingly better relations with the industrial sector. In this context, there are many challenges that we have set ourselves in the new Board of Directors:
- To help health systems to better deal with crises as terrible as the pandemic we are suffering, where we have seen that health technology is becoming crucial in the way we understand health, and the best example has been telemedicine and digital health.
- To help build the future of research in IB, in all the areas in which the SEIB groups work (signals, images, instrumentation, etc.) for the needs of personalised medicine, predictive and preventive medicine, i.e. the new medicine.
- To help build an industrial fabric in our sector in Spain, collaborating to promote innovation in health technologies and the promotion of start-ups.
- To continue to promote IB training, because we are convinced that the technological transformation in the Spanish health systems, to address all these challenges, will be produced by our graduates, by these new professionals who are our future and who will increasingly be integrated into industry, new companies, research centres and hospitals.
- And to do this, this new sap must help, participate in the SEIB, we need our students and we will fight to involve them more and more so that they feel involved in the challenges of the SEIB and see the value of our scientific society in their future.
We are facing a fascinating and exciting future for biomedical engineering and health technologies, and we are convinced that SEIB has and will continue to have a fundamental role in the common objective of all: to improve people’s health and quality of life, the main motivation for which all of us who work in biomedical engineering are fighting.
A big hug for everyone,
Enrique J. Gómez Aguilera
President, Spanish Society of Biomedical Engineering